Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital
The staff at Truman VA provide a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
The Daily Plan enhances patient safety by involving patients in their care. A single document is provided to patients that outlines how they can have a more active role in their care. The plan includes patients safety tips, questions to ask, daily journal and medication list.
Health Promotion Disease Prevention Program
Provides programming, education and resources to enhance the health, well-being, and quality of life for Veterans. Focus on 9 Healthy Living Messages: Be Tobacco Free, Be Physically Active, Be Safe, Eat Wisely, Get Involved in your Healthcare, Get Recommended Screening & Immunizations, Limit Alcohol, Manage Stress and Strive for a Healthy Weight.
MOVE is a weight management program designed to help Veterans lose weight, keep it off and improve their health. Requires BMI of 25 or higher for enrollment. Providers will need to enter a consult for interested Veterans. Contact: MOVE Coordinator at 573-814-6472 www.move.va.gov
Get Fit for Life- Watch the video
- Part 1 of 3 [.wmv format / 170Mb] | Transcript (Part 1 of 3)
- Part 2 of 3 [.wmv format / 170Mb] | Transcript (Part 2 of 3)
- Part 3 of 3 [.wmv format / 169Mb] | Transcript (Part 3 of 3)
Tobacco Cessation programming at the Truman VA offers a 2 tier program. First, a thinking about quitting group where Veterans learn about the benefits & tools for quitting. Second, is a 7 week quit class. Contact: Tobacco Cessation Clinician, 573-814-6216. www.ucanquit2.org
Our medical library is staffed by experienced librarians and is available to all patients and staff. The medical library is located on the third floor in room C-341 and open Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Local newspapers are available for leisure reading and three computers are available for patient's to access My HealtheVet.
The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to:
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on:
- health promotion
- upcoming tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes.
Patient Learning Opportunities
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients:
- continually receive updated health information provided by Physicians, Pharmacist and Nurses.
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility