Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital

 

Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services (PSR) Team

The PSR Team offers a variety of housing, employment and outreach services to Veterans.  These are:

Health Care for Homeless Veterans Program (HCHV)

The HCHV program helps homeless Veterans gain stability through case management services and contracted shelter. Veterans receive intensive case management including  in-take, assessment, treatment planning, connecting them with VA providers, employment assistance, exploring benefits and referral to community resources. This program contracts with local shelters such as the Salvation Army and Welcome Home to provide housing to homeless Veterans and funding for Veterans’ program fees for 4-6 months.  Veterans are admitted to contracted shelters on a case by case basis and case management is provided to all homeless Veterans.

Grant & Per Diem Program (GPD)

The GPD Program provides transitional housing and supportive services for Veterans that have co-occurring disorders (i.e., substance abuse and mental illness) and consists of four apartments with nine beds in Columbia.  Eligibility requirements include being homeless and participation in an addiction treatment program within the past 30 days or having been clean and sober for the past 30 days. 

Compensated Work Therapy Transitional Housing Program (CWT/TR or "TR")

The TR is an eight-bed, psychosocial, residential treatment program offering a therapeutic residential setting for Veterans who are homeless and involved in the CWT program.  The objective of the TR is to provide a therapeutic environment to assist the Veteran in making and meeting vocational, personal and collective needs and goals to facilitate the Veteran's successful return to the community as a productive and responsible citizen.  Veterans receive case management and supportive services to assist with their transition into independent living.

Housing and Urban Development-Veterans Affairs Supported Housing (HUD-VASH)

The HUD-VASH program allows homeless Veterans the opportunity to secure long-term, independent housing.  Veterans receive intensive case management services designed to resolve and prevent episodes of homelessness.  Veterans receive a housing choice voucher, which can substantially subsidize housing rental costs.  Eligible Veterans must be homeless and have the ability to live independently. The final decision on a Veteran's appropriateness for the HUD-VASH program is determined by the PSR team and the Housing Authority.

Compensated Work Therapy (CWT)

Compensated Work Therapy helps unemployed Veterans gain work experience and pay while working at Truman VA and for outside employers. It provides Veterans with disabilities that contribute to occupational dysfunction a supportive environment in which to gain work skills and experience.  Any unemployed Veteran may participate in CWT.  Vocational development is based in competitive work experiences rather than artificial or sheltered settings. Job choice, disclosure and supports are based on a Veteran’s preferences and needs.  Compensated Work Therapy works with an interdisciplinary team promoting the integration of vocational, clinical and support services producing better employment outcomes.

Supported Employment (SE) Program

The SE program is designed to help Veterans with severe mental illness find and maintain competitive employment.  Veterans receives one-to-one time with a Vocational Rehabilitation Specialist for counseling services, expedition of VA care, liaison with employers and other providers, problem solving assistance and general assistance to help them acquire and maintain employment.  The goal is to have each Veteran obtain and maintain employment even if they prefer to only work a few hours each week.  It is mandated that 75 percent  of the SE caseload are Veterans who are diagnosed with a psychotic disorder.  The remaining 25 percent may have other mental health diagnoses (i.e., Traumatic Brain Injury, Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder).

Veterans Justice Outreach (VJO)

The VJO initiative helps eligible Veterans in contact with the criminal justice system to have timely access to VHA services and other VA services and benefits in order to avoid unnecessary criminalization.  The VJO Coordinator will provide outreach services including education and training to police departments, courts, probation and parole, etc., in order to establish protocols to ensure that Veterans can gain timely access to housing, employment, mental health, substance abuse and medical services.