Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital
Happy 10th Birthday MOVE!
It’s a Celebration….MOVE! Weight Management Program for Veterans is 10 years old!
MOVE! Weight management program for Veterans is helping to improve the health and well-being of Veterans and their families. MOVE programming educates Veterans about how to eat wisely, move more and weigh less. Over the past 10 years, the MOVE program has been very busy supporting Veterans in their weight loss endeavors. Nationwide, more than 650,000 Veterans have participated in MOVE programming. At Truman VA, more than 1,781 Veterans have been seen in the MOVE program, 495 Veterans have completed the MOVE Level II 12-week intensive program and overall weight loss by Veterans attending MOVE is 6,250 pounds.
So, what programs are offered at Truman VA to support Veterans with their weight loss goals?
· MOVE Level I is a 2-hour seminar class where Veterans learn the impact that losing weight can have on their health by lowering blood pressure, controlling diabetes, etc. They learn about the importance of keeping a food journal and why this accountability is the biggest predictor of weight loss success. The team also discusses ways to increase daily physical activity such as parking your car further back in parking lot, being active during television commercials and the importance of setting SMART goals for weight loss.
· After completing MOVE Level I, Veterans can then enroll in MOVE Level II. This class meets once per week for 12 weeks and is offered at Truman VA and seven community based outpatient clinics (Jefferson City, Kirksville, Marshfield, Mexico, Osage Beach, Sedalia and Waynesville) via clinical video telehealth. The MOVE Level II program focuses on a different topic each week to support weight loss. Topics include Motivation, Physical Activity, Trim the Fat, and Sugar & Spice.
· Upon successfully completing the MOVE Level II program, Veterans can attend the MOVE support group that meets once per month for ongoing weight management coaching.
· Telephone Lifestyle Coaching (TLC) is a 100 percent phone clinic that offers weight management support and coaching for Veterans who are unable to attend the in person class options.
· Veterans have the option to meet individually with any MOVE team member and/or their PACT team dietitian for weight management support.
· Finally, Veterans can choose to use the MOVE coach app for IPhone/IPad, which is a self-study program and allows them to work on weight management independently.
No matter what program option Veterans choose, the MOVE team is here to support them throughout their weight loss journey.
If you are interested in weight management support and want to pursue a healthier lifestyle, contact your PACT team and ask for a MOVE consult today.
For more information about MOVE visit: www.move.va.gov