Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital
Have you done your 30 minutes today?
Did you know that regular physical activity has health benefits? Physical activity helps people enjoy longer and happier lives. You can start seeing the benefits of exercise in as little as 30 minutes per day. You can break it up in three 10-minute sessions per day!
Regular physical activity can have the following health benefits:
- Regulate blood sugar levels and lower blood pressure.
- Help the body maintain healthy muscles, bones and joints.
- Improves overall mood and can reduce the feelings of anxiety and depression.
- It can help keep the mind sharp and improve memory.
So why aren’t more people getting off the couch and moving? The number one reason people say they don’t exercise is…”I don’t have TIME.” Findings suggest it is not the amount of time people have, but the amount of time they think they have. Make physical activity a priority and you will find the time.
To fit exercise into your daily life try to:
- Make physical activity a priority each day by aiming for at least 30 minutes.
- Get an exercise buddy. This can help keep you motivated.
- Make it fun and get started today!
You don’t have to join a gym, buy fancy equipment or workout for hours to be physically active. Being physically active can be as simple as adding an extra step each day. Try parking your car in the back of the parking lot when going to the grocery store, doctor appointments or doing other errands. You can also ask your VA primary care provider for a pedometer, which can help you track your daily steps.
There are 1440 minutes in each day…can you spare 30 of them for physical activity?
Written by the Truman VA Physical Therapy Department
Brought to you by the Health Promotion Disease Prevention Program