Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital
Bite Into a Healthy Lifestyle
The 2015 National Nutrition Month theme is "Bite Into a Healthy Lifestyle." The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, who sponsors the annual awareness event, encourages everyone to make wise food choices and exercise regularly to maximize your health.
National Nutrition Month is an annual campaign to promote nutrition awareness and education. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day also is celebrated in March. This year, it occurs on March 11. A registered dietitian nutritionist can put you on the path to a healthy weight and healthy lifestyle.
Some of the ways that you can eat wisely include the following:
• Use the MyPlate tool to create balanced meals every day
• Choose whole grain breads, pasta, cereals, and brown rice to increase fiber in your diet.
• Fill ½ of your plate with fruits and vegetables. “Eat a rainbow” of colorful fruits & vegetables such as those that are dark green, red and orange.
• Choose low-fat or fat-free milk and milk products including milk, yogurt, cheese, lactose-free milk and fortified soy beverages.
• Choose low-fat or lean meats, poultry and seafood. Also use dried beans, nuts, peas and seeds as high protein, high fiber substitutes for meat.
• Limit sodium intake by cutting back on table salt and processed foods.
• Limit intake of unhealthy saturated fats (found in animal fat, shortening, tropical oils, and foods made with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil). Use heart healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (found in fish, liquid vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, olives and avocados) instead.
Did you know?
There are many resources available to you at Truman VA. There are registered dietitians on staff to help you meet your nutritional needs. The MOVE! weight management program is available for those interested in weight loss. For more nutrition information, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.